This ad is expired.
Director of Children's Center
Salary: $93,456.00 - $113,592.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2122-00166
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Closing: 5/24/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Cuesta College requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative test result. This may be verified through Cleared4Cuesta for all students, employees, and visitors who access Cuesta College campuses and facilities. For the most up to date information, please review our Covid-19 Resources page: https://www.cuesta.edu/covid-19/index.html
Under the general direction of an Administrator, the Director is responsible for planning, organization, evaluation, and supervision of the Children's Center, including Laboratory Schools within the District.
The Director, Children's Center is distinguished by the requirement to direct the operation of the Children's Centers at the San Luis Obispo and North County Campuses, provide leadership and to exercise a high degree of independent judgment. Performance of duties requires a working knowledge of an Early Childhood instructional program, federal and state laws, district policies, and rules and regulations. The Director oversees, supports, and promotes student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by ensuring quality program services for children and families and ensuring compliance with State licensing requirements and submitting reports as required.
Essential Functions & Qualifications
- Ensure developmentally appropriate practice in Infant-toddler and Preschool laboratory classrooms on all campuses;
- Develop and maintain classroom environments and curriculum to create a warm, interactive, intellectually stimulating, physically challenging, and emotionally secure program based on individual children's and families' specific needs, including language and cultural values which reflect and support the ECE instructional program in close collaboration with ECE faculty;
- Model and teach appropriate Infant-toddler and Preschool teaching techniques and practices/procedures for staff, laboratory students and parents;
- Oversee curriculum with assessments, and observations;
- Facilitate positive interpersonal relations with parents through parent education, individual conferences, parent meetings and daily parent communication;
- Develop, review, and update Center policies and manuals with the input of Children's Center staff;
- Coordinate and oversee staff in-service training and professional development;
- Apply for and maintain accreditation and licensing of the Children's Centers;
- Advocate for and represent the Children's Center on campus and in the community; provide on-going reports to the Advisory Committee, ECE faculty, Human Development/Human Services Division, and other related campus and community interest groups;
- Supervise all aspects related to the operation of the Children's Center;
- Recruit and maintain full enrollment in the Center's programs; Process staff monthly time cards and maintain substitute lists;
- Develop and manage the annual Center budget;
- Maintain health and safety standards including nutritional programs, universal health precautions, emergency procedures, and facility and equipment safety for children, parents, staff and College students;
- Arrange for timely maintenance and repair of Children's Center facilities and plan for equipping indoor/outdoor learning environments;
- Ensure compliance with campus, state, and county regulations concerned with the operation of the Centers; maintain records and submit reports as required by licensing and the District;
- Interview, hire, schedule, and supervise classified staff, hourly assistants and substitute staff;
- Evaluate all staff in the San Luis Obispo Campus Center and the North County Children's Center;
- Advise and assist program staff in the resolution of work-related problems;
- Schedule and facilitate parent orientations;
- Maintain files of children attending the Centers;
- Maintain staff files for Center licensing purposes;
- Establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties;
- Establish and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with all Center and community partners.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
Duties may require the physical ability to:
- See for the purpose of reading regulations, laws and codes, rules and policies, and other printed matter;
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels;
- Speak so that others will be able to understand a normal in-person and telephone conversation;
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time;
- Lift and/or carry 50 pounds;
- Exert manual dexterity sufficient for keyboard and other office equipment operation.
Required Education and Experience:
- B.A. Degree in child development, early childhood education, human development or equivalent;
- One year of teaching experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program
- Child Development Site Supervisor permit (or ability to obtain within six months of hiring) issued by the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing;
- First Aid and adult/child CPR certification
- Child Development Program Director permit (or the ability to obtain within six months of hiring) issued by the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing;
- Experience in administering and supervising an early childhood center-based program, including fiscal management;
- Experience in College Lab School setting, including personnel management and the promotion of positive relations; development and supervision of infant/toddler, preschool, and school-age programs;
- Supervision of parent-child-teacher programs; integration of research theory into early childhood center-based programs; ability to motivate and support innovation in early childhood center-based programs.
- Both program specific and District operational policies and procedures;
- Current technologies, personal computer, and associated office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and/or database software;
- Correct English usage: grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Candidates will be required to submit ALL of the required documents below when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
- Cover letter;
- Professional Reference List (see further instructions below);
- Unofficial transcripts;
- Diversity statement (see further instructions below).
Diversity Statement Instructions: Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community.
In 500 words or less, with consideration to our Mission Statement and our values expressed above, please explain how you will demonstrate your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in this position.
Reference List Instructions: Your reference list must include three professional references, their contact information, and their relationship to you.
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Below is the full salary schedule range for this position, steps A through E. Per Cuesta College's bargaining agreement, new employees are placed at Steps A through C, which is the anticipated hiring range also listed below. The bargaining agreement also includes step and longevity increases. For a full salary schedule, please see our website: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
- Salary Schedule Range: $7,788 - $9,466 per month.
- Anticipated Hiring Range: $7,788 - $8,586 per month.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Cuesta College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9 to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. For further information, visit: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/Job_Opportunities.html
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be invited to attend a Zoom interview and teaching demo on Friday, June 10 and Monday, June 13, 2022.
Second interviews will be held via Zoom on Friday, June 17, 2022.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency